Coe Family Coat of Arms Painting

May 20, 2016 at 12:15 pm | Posted in Paintings, Pittsburgh | Leave a comment

Coe Family Coat of Arms Painting

Coe Family Coat of Arms Wm. J Carpenter c1930

Coe Family Coat of Arms
Wm. J Carpenter c1930

 

Architect Wm. J. Carpenter AIA painted a watercolor of the Coe Family Coat of Arms for his wife Agnes while in DeLand, Florida about 1930 . Mrs. Carpenter was  born Agnes Christina Coe in Brady’s Bend, Pennsylvania on May  31, 1874 ; they had married in Pittsburgh in 1900 and lived in Beaver  until about 1919 when they moved to Florida.  She was very interested in family genealogy and while tracing her family tree back to Robert Coe and Benjamin Coe (born 1629) she had encountered a rendering of the family Coat of Arms and requested her husband to make a painting of it for her. Her father was Samuel Wallace Coe (1845-1918 and mother Elizabeth b. 1852.  He was an oil field developer in Pennsylvania.  Frameable prints  are now available.  Read more….

 

Greylock Mansion Chestnut Hill

November 25, 2010 at 1:10 pm | Posted in Pittsburgh | Leave a comment

Greylock

GREYLOCK , a magnificent 25-room Chestnut Hill Tudor mansion was designed by Wm. J.Carpenter of the architectural firm of Carpenter & Crocker in 1909 for Henry A. Laughlin, the senior partner of the Jones & Laughlin Steel Company.

Located in  an exclusive suburb of Philadelphia, the 7 acre estate abuts Fairmount Park and commands a panoramic view of the Wissahocken Valley.  The historic property is today protected by conservation easements created by the Chestnut  Hill Historical Society.  Their archives contain extensive photographs and articles on the property.  To read more about the property, click here.

Once the home of the Sisters of Divine Providence this landmark is now serving a limited function as commercial office space. The interior has suffered several remodelings, but the exterior remains essentially as it was in the 1920s view above.

ST. JAMES (HOLY CROSS) EPISCOPAL CHURCH-PITTSBURGH

October 1, 2010 at 10:00 pm | Posted in Architecture, Pittsburgh | Leave a comment

Another classic church design by Carpenter & Crocker (Wm. J. Carpenter, Senior Partner) was completed in Pittsburgh in 1904 for the St. James Episcopal congregation.  Now occupied by The Church of The Holy Cross, the 100th Anniversary of this Gothic/Norman style church was recently recognized by the award of a bronze plaque by the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Fouindatiion.  For more on this well-preserved building click here.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.